Thursday, July 05, 2007

BOOK-O-SUPPLEMENTS

i have a book of random stuff i dont want to loose. it is blue and weathered and water-logged. i did loose it once. it happened during my last move, but i found it a few weeks ago. as much as i like my book-o-supplements there is only one thing inside of it that i actually care about. everything else is just kinda cool to read every once in a while.

when i was in high school i took an english composition class. it was supposed to be college level or something. anyway, i struggled in that class mostly because i was a very inconsistent writer. when i was interested in the topic i would actually try and do really well. otherwise, i just sucked it up. well, we were given an assignment to describe a life-changing moment in our youth. something pivotal. something that developed character or interests. well, i wrote my paper the night before it was due (i stayed up pretty late too. maybe that's why it was a "college level" class...) and had a friend proof-read it at a party. she said it was one of the best papers she had read in a while and started quoting it. weird.

so i turned it in, and the teacher reacted in much the same way. i thought it was cool because i would finally get an 'A' on an assignment. but it really pissed off a girl in my class. she was a book-worm and worked really hard on every assignment, yet she managed to get a worse grade than me. one of those 'prodigal son's older brother' situations.

anyway, im going to post the paper below because im afraid i might loose my book again and im sure some of you will like it. i dont expect any great reviews since im no longer in high school. also, i appologize in advance for the use of the phrase "all the vigor of my being" (i did actually think it was an original thought. at least it isnt "fiber of my being"). enjoy.

THE HUNT

Stealthily, I hunted my victim. I sprang into the air with the force of a tiger, tackling my prey, bear-hugging him with a vengence. He had entered my territory--my realm. Strapping my paws around his torso, I felt him quiver with the realization of my attack. I could not let him go--not this time. He squirmed viciously in an attempt to be rid of me, but to no avail. We struggled our way to the ground; rolling in chaotic patterns across the marked-off expanse. I grabbed ahold of his leg and threw him with all the vigor of my being. His weakened body hit with a sickening thud. I pounced again. Having my arms wrapped around his head and arm, I squeezed the remaining thoughts of escape from his mind. Losing all hope of regaining strength, he slowly lowered his shoulders to the ground.

Slam!

What happened? I looked around. Next to us was the referee, anxious to get us off of the mat. I jumped up, helped my opponent to his feet and awaited for my hand to be raised. Sweat poured off of my 105 pound, 5th grade body, boiling like a natural hot spring, muscles tensed with adrenaline. Confused with the thoughts and emotions that had possessed my mind only moments before, i walked toward the judges' table and loosely signed the bout sheet with my trembling hand.

A husky body approached with burning eagerness. He had been yelling at the top of his lungs on the sideline trying to wrestle for me, but I had become oblivious to his cries. He put his steel-framed hands on my tingling, scrawny shoulders, his forehead slick with perspiration. Staring into his deep brown eyes--as I had done so many time before in hopes for approval--I nervously awaited his response to my match. In a solid, satisfied voice he said, "That's it. That's how you wrestle."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice. Makes me want to take a Creative Writing class again!

Nama said...

awesome! very visual and satisfying. A+!