Monday, March 24, 2008

PAIN TRAIN

about a year and a half ago i was playing football at the provo high fields. just me and some friends playing touch football on a saturday morning. it used to be a regular thing and my main source of exercise. on this particular occasion we decided to try tackle for a bit. all the girls had left and everyone was feeling extra manly. so we started tackling each other and everything was going great until peter (250 lbs) tackled his own teammate caleb (170 lbs) and put a knee in his spine. caleb sat out for the next couple plays...


minutes later my team was down field and our qb hiked the ball. i ran about 20 yards and looked back just in time to catch the ball. i broke a tackle and was in the clear to the end zone. about 20 yards away from the end zone, joe (130 lbs) comes sprinting up to me and leaps for my legs. i (200 lbs (at the time...)) tried to jump out of the way and joe managed to only clip my feet just a couple yards from the end zone. i flew through the air for about 10 feet and landed on my right shoulder and slid for another 10 feet (it was really muddy). of course, my shoulder was all screwed up and, of course, i kept playing. that night it took me about 30 minutes to get my shirt off so i could shower (yes, i spent the entire afternoon sitting in the chair-of-death trying to get up--the lever thingy is on the right side). then i took a single ibuprofen and went to bed.


the next day i found even the simplest tasks to be challenging. everything from tying my shoes to driving my manual transmission car (the hardest part was setting the emergency brake) was painful to say the least. i couldnt raise my arm without the assistance of my other arm.


well, on tuesday i gave it another go as i leaned left into a turn on my motorcycle and hit a patch of loose gravel...


on the plus side, i got my first day off work in about a month. and for those of you wondering why i didnt post this sooner, i really didnt want to do this whole post with one hand.

3 comments:

kat said...

please tell me you went to the doctor because it's mandatory that you be in top form by the end of april.

word verification: "asciaaa". is that the sound you made as you hit the loose gravel? asciaAA!

Anonymous said...

Well, glad to hear you're functional again. Any cool scars? How long ago was this? How's the bike?

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I now see that you said it was on Tuesday, guess I should read a little closer before commenting. Hope you're okay now or at least recovering quickly.